Saturday, July 19, 2008

Positive Evolution

My decision to play smarter poker became a reality last night. I was very happy with how I played last night. I finished the night being stuck $60, but it wasn't from playing like a donk. I credit my loss to one bad read and one huge pot. We were four handed, ATC Dave L was SB, Scott was BB, Dad had straddled for $2, I double straddled for $4. Dave called the $4, Scotty raised to $10, Dad folded, I called the other $6 with J7 of club, and Dave called. I really didnt put Scott on anything other then a small pocket pair or something like QJ. The flop came out with an ace and a 7 plus a blank card, Scott made a continuation bet of $10, I called the $10 thinking I have the best hand. The turn brought a king of diamonds putting three diamonds on the board. I bet $10, Scott raises to $20, still feeling like he was pushing me I went all in. Scott went into the tank wondering if I hit the flush. He repeatedly ask me "did you hit the flush??" he even sent me a
text during the hand reading "did you hit the flush??" After him thinking for a couple of minutes he called with top two pair. Taking down a $160 pot. In retrospect of the hand I don't think I played it poorly. I really didnt put him on that big of a hand, and being in my betting position, and outchipping him by about $20, it wasn't a bad move. If the turn brought a diamond that wasn't a king giving him his 2nd pair, he folds. After that big loss I reloaded for $20 more. Played for a while up then down, I ran into another hand with Scott. Flopping a flush made me feel great. Then a fourth diamond on the turn gave Scott the nut flush and me the second nuts. At 2:00 am we ended the game with a game of 7 card no peek for $7 per man. I sweated out a straight to the six. I was golden with one card left in dads hand. Rubbing his card miyagi style like he does trying to maverick his card into the one he needs. He is dead to a jack, and what happens?? He rivers
the jack!! What a stupid game!! I think I will start taking a 80% rake on the stupid no peek games dad magicly never loses at. All in all I was pleased with the game I played even though I lost money. I think I saved myself quite a bit of money playing smarter rather then harder.

Keeping It Skinny,
FlacoJake

No comments: