Friday, June 22, 2012

Check Yo Sef, Befo You Wreck Yo Sef!!

Lately I've been able to discuss with several family, friends, and just people in general about their relationships. Some have said they're feeling great about where they're at with their significant other. Some are lying to their spouse or boyfriend or girlfriend by saying everything is fine. Some families are on the outs and some friends front up every time they talk to the other. All of the strife I've been through and I hear others going through can be diagnosed simply. People in this world are plain ole SELFISH. I've never realized how selfish people can actually be. I'm including myself when I say people. I was extremely selfish at one time. Only thinking about myself and what I thought I wanted. I quickly found out that I needed to use that emotion to get selfish with God. I needed to care about NOTHING else but him and getting my life back on track. I couldn't handle trying to aquire the coldness or the hard heartedness that I needed to keep my lifestyle ticking the way it was. It became physically impossible for me to live the way I was living. I've had the opportunity and the blessing to turn my life around and repair my life's mark. But none of it would have happened if I was right with Christ in the first place. The grass may be greener on the other side, but if you nurture your grass the way you should it will be just as green on your side. Because of my situations in life I've had the privilege to counsel several couples about their relationships and also just opportunities to share my life's journey to people hurting. The first thing I tell them is to get unselfish. If you think to yourself right this instant about something your wife does to frustrate you or your boyfriend or a friend or family member, I'd bet you 9 times out of 10 your own selfishness is the main culprit. I've heard lots of excuses and I've even given my own in my day, but selfishness leads to nothing but evil. There are so many evil people in this world and from my point of view it all stems from selfishness. I'm reminded quite often of the movie "The Color Purple" for a principle people tend to overlook. You see Albert (Danny Glover) did everything he could to make himself happy. He basically stole and settled for a wife in Celie (Whoopi Goldberg). During their marriage he beat her, he kept her sister from her, and he cheated on her. All to the glory of himself. Once Celie had enough she left him and told him "Until you do right by me everything you do is going to crumble." This principle is so true in everyday life. You hurt people you won't be blessed, you lie to people you won't be blessed, and if you don't know God you won't be blessed. You might find a bone or two along the way just like Albert did. But in the end all you'll find is sadness, hurt, and nothing is real. It's like ash. It's at your rock bottom you realize oh wait if I treat others the way I should I have peace and I'm happier. Just like Albert was after he made things right. He spent a lifetime trying to get that feeling but didn't get even close till he was unselfish and kind. I know most of this has been blunt and at times harsh so I wanna close with some encouragement. To those of you that are going through rough times right now. Please be uplifted in the fact that there's a God that loves you and sees you. He's felt your pain and has even felt just as weak as you feel. Ask for guidance ask for patience and ask for faith and hell give it to you. As a believer you've already won. Put God before others and others before yourself. Even when you wanna punch them in the throat. Oops that was outloud. :) I'm not a pastor or a counselor I'm just a man that sees what I see and says what I feel. Hopefully I helped some of you lay some stuff at the altar tonight. I know it's always a good recheck for me when I write my thoughts down. Please always keep my family in prayer.

TeAmo Amigos,
FlacoJake

No comments: